Statement of Principles Handout (1996)
First, ask yourself the following:
Our organization was created to address the needs behind all of these
- Have you ever wished there was a way to get honest, non-judgmental
information about sexuality from a pleasure-positive point of view?
- Have you ever wished there was a non-threatening way to engage in
conversation with other folks who find sex interesting, and to be able
to share sex-related concerns and questions when they arise in your
- Have you ever wished there was a way to stay informed about local
and national sex-positive events that you might like to attend, and to
make informed choices by reading reviews and discussion from folks who
have attended them?
- Have you ever wished there was a way to sort out the good from the bad
when it comes to educational books, videotapes, classes, etc.?
- Have you ever wanted some way to "expand your boundaries" by
exposed to ideas, information, and viewpoints from people representing
a wide range of sexual preferences and practices?
Under the assumptions of consensuality and safety, participants in our
organization generally agree with the following positions:
- Pro Pleasure: We find sexual pleasure to be enjoyable and
legitimate in its own right, and support all sex education efforts that we
consider to be both pleasure-positive and honest.
- Pro Safety: We encourage the widespread availablity of
effective safer sex education and supplies, and support whatever personal
growth a person may find necessary to maintain his or her emotional safety
and health while being sexually active.
- Pro Growth: We encourage open communication between people
representing all genders, sexual orientations, sexual preferences, and
consensual styles of sexual expression. We recognize that it is often
from the people whom we perceive to be the most different from us that we
have the most to learn.
- Pro Communication: We recognize that good communication in
matters is often critical in insuring consensuality, maximizing pleasure,
and providing the best opportunity for personal development.
- Pro Expression: We find the erotic to be a legitimate area for
artistic expression, and support the creation and enjoyment of quality
- Pro Education: We find the topic of sex to be inherently
interesting, and support books, classes, discussions, etc. that increase
our understanding of it on both personal and scholarly levels. We support
efforts to increase the levels of tolerance, accuracy, and
pleasure-positivity in contemporary sex education, and also support
efforts to make quality sex education available to everyone.
- Pro Freedom: We support the legal right of all adults,
of gender, to engage in any consensual sexual activity they wish. We
support the full extension of freedoms of speech to sexually explicit
writings and discussion, whether in real-life, in print, or online.
This document is in the following section of this site: Main Documents > SHS History (1995-1998)
If you're new to this site, we recommend you visit its
home page for a better sense of all it has